What I've Read

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Book Review: The Great Gatsby

The Great GatsbyThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

First off, I know I will be a bit biased because I LOVE the 1920s. As far as American History goes, it is probably my favorite decade. I also have a bit of a thing for the Lost Generation participants, however, I want this to be less about Fitzgerald and more about Gatsby.

The first time I read this novel, I was a teenager and Gatsby seemed like the ultimate playboy, rich, powerful, confident, arrogant... This time around, I was able to see past his facade better. He is not so confident. In fact, he questions everything until he meets Daisy again (and don't even get me started on her). I liked Nick much better. He is a good man and a good friend who sticks with Gatsby but does not let Gatsby believe that he can behave however he wants.

It was perhaps even more delicious the second time around and Fitzgerald's writing is perfect. Nothing superfluous, nothing superficial. It is honest, clear, and human, as are his most famous characters. I have to say, I'm highly looking forward to DiCaprio's portrayal of the lovelorn New England millionaire.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment