What I've Read

Saturday, April 23, 2011

447 Years




Happy 447th Birthday,
William Shakespeare!











In honor of the Bard's birthday:

Sonnet 116

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
   If this be error and upon me proved,
   I never writ, nor no man ever loved.



From Hamlet, Act I, Scene 3

"This above all-
to thine own self be true,
And it must follow,
as the night the day,
Thou canst not then
be false to any man.
Farewell
..."



Yours truly,
The Litwit

No comments:

Post a Comment