What I've Read

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures Manga, (Caster Chronicles #1) by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl & art by Cassandra Jean

Beautiful Creatures: The Graphic Novel (Caster Chronicles)Beautiful Creatures: The Graphic Novel by Kami Garcia
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I will preclude this review by saying I have never seen the film or read the novel version of this story, but now, I'm planning on doing both.

What I Liked:
-great characterization (for everyone except Lena)
-impacting images
-artistic symbolism and imagery
-interesting blending of supernatural/fantasy mythos
-elements of mystery
-beautiful art (other reviewers have complained about the sketchy style, but I think it added a depth and rawness to the characters)


What I Didn't Like:
-distinct lack of Southern culture
-Lena felt very flat until the end. There was no character progression for her until the final few pages.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment